Sunday, September 21, 2008

You Spin Me Right Round Baby, Right Round

Here's the latest in my series of Tarot images where I live, which is inspired by Craig Conley's imaginative Trump L'Oeil Tarot of Portmeirion. I consider this sculpture, which is located near the town hall where I live, to be a minimalist interpretation of the wheel.

What I most enjoy about this work is the way its simple lines suggest motion, a sense of turning. An unbroken circle would appear static. The presence of a space gives the circle a dynamic quality that elegantly conveys movement. The bold red color gives the sculpture added vitality. Whenever I drive by this piece, I think 'Whooosh!'

1 comment:

Eccentric Scholar said...

Good point about the broken circle suggesting motion. It's also highly evocative of the Ouroboros.

Beautiful choice!